Friday, February 24, 2012

Back On Conditioner Only... For The Time Being

So, I know I've said this before only to go back to gels and leave ins, but I think I'm sticking with the Conditioner Only / Tightly Curly Method for a while.  I just finished re-reading Curly Like Me:  How To Grow Tightly Curly Hair Long and Strong (what a mouth full!) by Teri LaFlesh.  Everything in it reminded me why I initially stuck with just leaving conditioner in my hair after my big chop.  It was just so simple, cheap, and logical.  If rinse out conditioners have the same main working ingredients as leave ins, only in higher quantity (which I take to mean more moisturizing), then doesn't it make the most sense to take advantage of that for my naturally dry hair?

The last few days, I've been styling my hair with just Tresemme Naturals Vibrantly Smooth Conditioner.  No oils, no butters, no serums, no nothing.  Just the conditioner.  And it's been great!  My hair has stayed moisturized, my curls were defined, and it was just a good couple of hair days in general.  What I noticed about using just conditioner in my hair is that even though my curls are defined, they're kind of a frizzy defined.  But surprisingly, I liked it!  When I use gel in my hair, it takes a whole lot to get the definition I want, which has the tendency to leave my hair really hard.  Even if it doesn't turn out that crunchy, it's always sort of stiff.  I don't need to tell you how unattractive that is.  With conditioner, the definition is there, but the crunch isn't.

I stopped using the Tightly Curly / Conditioner Only Method mainly because I couldn't stretch my hair days.  But now I know that was because I was always playing in my hair before it finished drying, which didn't allow my curls to properly set.  So, there was no way I could expect my hair to stay all nice and defined when it wasn't even like that from day one.  Plus, I didn't have my night time routine down (I was still trying to make bonnets work for me... which they don't... at all. -__-), and my hair was a lot shorter.  As it's grown, the natural curl has become more defined, and I can get wash an gos to last much longer.  Today I have Herbal Essence's Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner in my hair and I love it!  My hair is nicely fluffy, defined, and fragrant.  I think COM will work for quite a while. :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I was on the bench about sticking with leave ins or going back to mousse but now I know conditioner only is the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found something helpful here. Since I wrote this post I've switched to using only shea butter in my hair and I no longer do wash and gos. I'll be making either a YouTube video or a blog post about why I made the switch so stay tuned. :)

      Delete