Friday, November 18, 2011

I Think I Know How Long This Will Take...

So, I was looking in the mirror the other day and thinking about what I will look like when I finally reach my goal and my hair touches my waist when stretched.  Going into this journey, I was convinced reaching waist length would take me forever and I was just going to have to be super patient.  I didn't know about average growth rates back then, or all the many tips and tricks women employ to speed up their rate of growth.  But once I did, I figured my hair probably grew slower than average (don't ask me why, because I can't tell you lol) and that it would probably take me twice as long as it takes most women to reach waist length hair.

When asked by a friend how long I thought it would take to get my hair that long, I foolishly said seven years... Can you believe that?  SEVEN?  There is no reason for my hair to take that long to reach my waist.  Now that I'm a little further along in my hair journey, I know that my hair does grow at about the average rate and I know where to measure from to determine how long my hair would have to be in inches to be about waist length, and therefore, how long it should take to get there.

From the back of head, at the lowest point of my hairline, down to my waist is about 18 1/2 inches.  some of you might be thinking, "That's it?" And yes, that's it.  Most women have hair somewhere around the 22 or 24 inch mark when it touches their waists.  But I'm not most women.  I stand at a whopping 4 feet, 9 inches tall, so the distance from my head to my waist is significantly shorter than average.  If my hair grows at a rate of about 1/2 inch a month, it would take 3 years and 1 month of continuous growth for my hair strands to reach 18 1/2 inches, if I'm able to retain all of the length my scalp puts out.
 
Right now I am 8 months and 3 weeks natural, after a 9 month transition. That makes the hair on my head almost 18 months old.  Logically speaking, my hair should be about 9 inches long all around, but it's not.  This is due to a messy Big Chop (which we'll discuss another time) and several trims since going all natural.  I would say the hair at the back/bottom of my head is about 5 or 6 inches long. If we go with the conservative estimate, my hair has about 13 1/2 or 14 more inches to grow before it will be at my waist when stretched.  So that puts me at about 2 years and 2 months from my goal. What do you think? Either way, I know I will reach my goal by the time I am 3 years natural! Not bad, huh? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment