Sunday, July 24, 2011

Daily Hair Blog: "All That Hair"

Going natural is full of new experiences. Some, I predicted, while others I could never have seen coming. When I did my big chop, I was nervous but excited at the same time. I thought I knew what my hair texture was but, I found out the hard way, the hair you see when you transition is not necessarily the hair you get when you BC. I had to tell myself that I liked my hair, and that I was still sexy without a relaxer until I actually believed it.

Comments and stares from people around me did nothing to help the new look grow on me, but it was what I had to deal with and I knew there was no way I could turn back. Even if I had been so uncomfortable with my hair that I wanted to go back to the creamy crack, I would have had to wait for my hair to grow in some more, because it was waaayyy to short for me to be comfortable with in either state.

But after a couple days my reflection didn't look so foreign and after a few weeks, I started to genuinely like what I was seeing. My hair was fuller and thicker than I could ever remember it being in my life, and I was learning sooo much! Confidence and pride started to sprout inside me, and it felt really good. Who cared what other people thought? Even though I received more compliments than insults, none of it really mattered to me, because I was happy with myself... At least, that's what I liked to believe.

I was at work on Friday and the high temperature for the day was 105 degrees! I really don't need to tell you how that felt, and what the main topic of discussion in the office was. But someone said something to me while we were discussing the heat outside that really got to me. It wasn't a compliment or an insult, just a descriptive phrase about my hair. One of my coworkers said, "Girl, I can't believe you're out in this heat with all that hair on your head like that." He didn't mean it in an offensive way at all, and I didn't take it as such.

I was just struck by the use of the phrase "all that hair" being applied to me.... Me?? Aaliyah?? My hair had never been described in such a way in my entire life. I've never had long hair. I've never had thick hair. As a matter of fact, my hair has always been on the thin side. But to someone just looking at my short little curly 'fro, I had a lot of hair! And it felt so good to hear that! In that moment, I think I was the happiest I've ever been since my big chop that I decided to go natural. Someone thought I have a lot of hair! That was something I thought I could only experience once my hair reached my shoulders or beyond. Never before. But I did!!

All I can really say is, I Love My Hair!! <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment